Eating a healthy and balanced diet during pregnancy is important for both the mother and the baby’s health. Here are a few tips to help maintain a healthy weight during pregnancy:
- Eat a variety of nutrient-dense foods: Include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein sources, and healthy fats in your diet.
- Avoid empty calories: Limit your intake of sugary drinks, fried foods, and processed snacks.
- Stay hydrated: Drink water and other low-calorie beverages throughout the day to help control hunger and keep you feeling full.
- Control portion sizes: Use smaller plates and pay attention to your hunger and fullness cues to help prevent overeating.
- Get enough protein: Include lean protein sources such as chicken, fish, tofu, beans, and lentils in your diet.
- Include healthy fats: Include sources of healthy fats such as nuts, seeds, avocado, and olive oil in your diet.
- Be active: Regular physical activity can help you maintain a healthy weight during pregnancy and improve overall health.
It’s important to note that weight gain during pregnancy is normal and necessary for the proper development of your baby. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommends that women with a normal body mass index (BMI) should gain between 25 to 35 pounds during pregnancy. Consult with your healthcare provider for personalized guidance.