If your skin is itchy, there are a few things you can do to help alleviate the symptoms:
- Avoid scratching: Scratching can make the itch worse and can also cause skin irritation and infection.
- Moisturize: Use a moisturizer to help hydrate and soothe itchy skin. Look for products that contain ingredients such as glycerin, hyaluronic acid, or aloe vera.
- Use anti-itch creams or lotions: Over-the-counter anti-itch creams or lotions, such as calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream, can help relieve itching.
- Take an antihistamine: Antihistamines can help relieve itching caused by allergic reactions.
- Avoid hot showers: Hot water can dry out the skin and make itching worse, so it’s best to avoid hot showers or baths and to use lukewarm water instead.
- Keep your skin cool: Applying a cool compress to the itchy area can help relieve itching.
- Identify and avoid triggers: If you know what triggers your itching, such as certain soaps or detergents, try to avoid them.
It’s always best to consult with a doctor if you have any concerns about your skin or any other health issues, as itching can also be a symptom of underlying conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, hives or an infection. They can recommend or prescribe the proper treatment to help alleviate your symptoms and determine the cause of the itch.