Here are some steps you can use to teach a baby to drink from a straw:
- Introduce the straw to the baby by letting them touch and play with it first.
- Dip the straw into a liquid, like water or breastmilk, and let the baby watch as the liquid is sucked into the straw.
- Hold the straw for the baby, letting them sip from it while you guide the straw to their mouth.
- As the baby becomes more comfortable with the straw, gradually decrease the amount of help you provide and let them hold the straw on their own.
- Encourage the baby to take larger sips and to tilt the cup on their own
- It is important to be patient and let the baby progress at their own pace.
It’s also good to be aware that some babies may take longer to learn to drink from a straw than others and it may be a good idea to wait until they are a bit older before introducing a straw.